Here are eight things lead pastors can do to foster a disability effective church.
- Teach from the pulpit about the theology of disability and suffering.
- Support outreach and care coordinators.
- Provide a budget that values inclusion.
- Provide space in the building for inclusive activities, support groups and accessibility.
- Pray and encourage prayer for and with those who have atypical lives.
- Endorse and publicly affirm programs, services, missions and inclusive activities that fully engage children, youth and adults who experience atypical lives (e.g., disability, mental health, aging, caregiving, chronic illness).
- Provide personal encouragement to struggling families and teams who are serving.
- Model what it looks like to whole-heartedly engage with people who have atypical lives.