An Uncomfortable Family Update

An Uncomfortable Family Update

Good heavens, this is not how I expected to title my first blog of 2022! Yet, alas, I’m online today for some “real talk” with friends who will “get it.” Our daughter Carly is 23 and has Angelman Syndrome. Her needs are complex and relentless. We have been extremely...
27 Gift Ideas for the Family Living with Disability

27 Gift Ideas for the Family Living with Disability

The holiday season is near. It is a time of year when stress, social isolation, and grief can weigh on caregivers and their families. Each family member — parent, grandparent, child with disabilities, sibling — is uniquely impacted by the disability issues involved....
8 Truths About Disability & Relationships

8 Truths About Disability & Relationships

The Bible provides many anchoring truths to guide us and spur us on in life. Caregiving families see those truths tested with extraordinary perspective. We also get to see — up close — how a foundation in certain truths stirs our compassion for each other, bolsters...
A Robust Support System Requires Asking for Help

A Robust Support System Requires Asking for Help

1 John 5:14And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. Many caregiving families are hesitant to ask for help because they don’t want to lose their privacy, their sense of control, or their pride. If...
8 Habits of Caregivers with a Robust Support System

8 Habits of Caregivers with a Robust Support System

A strong and healthy support system is crucial for caregivers. Robust supports will reduce stress and positively impact physical health as well as mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness. In a great many cases, a strong support system even impacts a family’s...
Communication: The Avenue to Connection

Communication: The Avenue to Connection

I wrote a blog a few weeks ago about open communication in caregiving families and explicitly communicating our needs to those around us. As I was writing that blog, so many more thoughts flooded my mind about the importance of communication. There are so many simple...